Friday 3 February 2017

Seitokai no Ichizon - The Congregating Student Council [Part 1]

This is the chronologically last chapter in the Seitokai no Ichizon series, originally published in Seitokai no Shukujitsu in 2013. I'm giving you full closure here. This monster of a chapter spans 100 pages, a full 2/5 of the entire volume, so I've split it up into several parts, with the next ones to come in the coming weeks as I finish them. Enjoy.


The Congregating Student Council





"There's a lot you can learn from the wisdom of those who came before!"

The Prez puffed out her small chest like always and recited a line she probably read in a book somewhere.

But the very next moment, Minase immediately said:

"That's right. I think that's completely correct. Although in the end, all of human knowledge can be classified under the category of 'the wisdom of those who came before'. If that's the case, then I would imagine speaking as if that wisdom were something great and sacred on purpose would surely induce some resistance in others, even a feeling of arrogance. What do you think, former president Sakurano?"

"Huh? Ah, um...?"

The Prez stiffened, having never endured a retort of such intensity.

Chizuru-san, who couldn't stand watching any longer, bailed her out while wearing an expression of resignation.

"Minase-san, that analysis is getting quite off topic; can we perhaps discuss that sometime later instead?"

In response to Chizuru-san's request, Minase quietly nodded her head.

"You're right. I'm sorry, I interrupted your point. Please continue, former president Sakurano."

"Uh, ah, y-yeah..."

With that kind of reply, the Prez's momentum had all but disappeared. She tried time and time again to begin explaining the situation, but in the end it was clumsy and hard to understand.

It can't be helped; I guess I'll have to explain in my own way the purpose of this bizarre scene in front of me.

Simply put, today's plan was supposed to be having the student council alumni observing the new student council's activities.

But as we can plainly see, the pathetic state of affairs we're currently in includes only me, the (former) Prez, Chizuru-san, and Minase Runa. The remaining five participants... the Shiina sisters, Saionji Tsukushi, Hinomori Touko, and Kagami Hokuto are late in one way or another.

Although, in the Shiina sisters' case it couldn't be helped since their plane was delayed by bad weather. The problem lies with the new student council members, whose reasons for being late were all unknown. Well, from my and Minase's point of view, the other members were always coming in late one by one so we had already gotten used to it, but...

After the Prez finished explaining our current situation, Chizuru-san turned towards me with a meaningful smile.

"So, Key-kun. Minatsu and Mafuyu-chan's situation aside, why have none of your other new student council members showed up?"

"Um... that's..."

"We came here to observe our kouhai's meetings so we wouldn't be so worried, and for that we purposefully went out of our way to visit on a weekday, you know? I wonder if the current student council members properly understand that?"

"Ah... um... uh that's..."

They should understand, all the council members. It's not like they see the former student council as enemies or... well, the yandere probably does see it that way. In any case, there's no one who would skip out on the plan because it seems boring... except for that fujoshi. B-but at least the current president is really enthusiastic, and she was really looking forward to today too, so she definitely can... not make it, the probability of that seems high.

Damn, I can't think of any excuses.

Chizuru-san's gaze is too painful, so I looked towards the Prez instead. She seemed to be looking forward to it with childlike anticipation, but she too looked a little annoyed. I'm so anxious, so very anxious.

Actually, those two went out of their way to put on their old uniforms for today... almost like they were cosplaying. With that in mind the atmosphere was especially unbearable.

It's not as if Hekiyou was strict about seniority in our school culture. Especially in the student council, we didn't really care about who was senior to who, but even so, to not have half the members present when welcoming the alumni is just embarrassing, there's a limit to how rude you can be.

Prez, who was honestly looking forward to meeting the new student council, became dejected, and then, Chizuru-san, seeing that, also became agitated. Prez could feel the mood worsening, so she tried to somehow stir up conversation with her famous sayings. Unfortunately, Minase can't read the mood and told her off right away, which agitated Chizuru-san even more.

...You can probably understand the situation pretty well with that explanation.

Right now, it's like being trapped in a swamp.

"......"

The silence hung over us. What's more, the only attending member of the new student council, Minase Runa was-

"Now then, I guess we'll do math today."

"(This girl...! You're gonna do that even in this situation?)"

She doesn't mean anything by it, of course, but Minase took out her notebooks, opened them on the table and started studying! Even though it was just like normal, even though it was something the new student council and I wouldn't even bat an eye at! But right now in this situation...

"......"

"(Ahhh! Chizuru-san's smile is terrifying!)"

In response to that attitude of acting like the alumni don't even exist, Chizuru-san's smile gradually took on a darker and darker glow.

In place of the Prez, who had begun to feel that Minase was tough to deal with after the earlier retort, Chizuru-san began speaking while looking as if she couldn't take it any more.

"Um, Minase-san?"

"Yes, what seems to be the matter former secretary Akaba?"

Minase answered without any hint of guilt. Chizuru-san responded with a grin and asked:

"Why are you studying right now?"

"Hm? I don't really understand what you're asking. Is there something wrong with a student studying?"

"Don't you know what TPO is?"

(TL Note: Acronym used in Japan for "Time Place and Occasion")

"I'm sorry, we're sold out of the PSP version of Tales of Phantasia"

"Not ToP! Why are you responding like a video game store clerk?"

Minase's obliviousness had shocked Chizuru-san profoundly. Seeing as how she was being too rude, I lightly nudged Minase with my elbow. Minase immediately turned to glare at me.

"(What's this, Sugisaki-kun? Are you the type of person who can only express their love through violence?)"

"(I didn't even use that much strength! That's not the problem! Why are you giving your seniors so much attitude? Don't be rude like that to anyone other than me!)"

"(Hm? What are you talking about? I'm very proud of having never offended anyone in my life.)"

"(Your self assessment is completely wrong! Anyway, just mind your manners when you're talking to the alumni! They're your seniors, after all.)"

"(Huh? I've been using respectful language though...)"

No good. This girl doesn't get it at all. I want to keep reminding her to behave, but so as to not let Prez and Chizuru-san hear me, I leaned into Minase's ear-

"Hmph... you seem to get along with Minase-san quite well, Key-kun."

"Huh?"

As I processed what was happening, I noticed Chizuru-san staring at me with that grin on her face, and cold sweat started pouring down my back.

Minase spoke to me while I was frozen beside her ear.

"Aren't you the one who's annoying everyone?"

"And whose fault do you think that is!? Huh!?"

No matter how much I yell in anger, Minase stared back with that same expressionless face. This girl can't even fathom the idea that she might be in the wrong!

Just when I was worrying over how to deal with Minase, the Prez came over to try to calm us down.

"Now, now. Sugisaki is always on good terms with everyone! I'm sure Minase-san means no harm as well. L-let's all calm down and try to have fun talking to each other, ok?"

The confrontational atmosphere dissipated immediately once we saw the Prez trying her best to force a smile... so mature! The Prez feels like she's matured a lot! Amazing! Is this the power of a university student!?

Minase closed her notebook with an "I understand", and bowed to the Prez.

"I'm sorry, I started doing what I usually do without explaining anything."

"Huh? Ah, no problem! Doing your own thing without explaining anything is something all of humanity besides me does from time to time!"

The Prez responded with a smile. I held myself back from commenting. Chizuru-san's crooked smile disappeared, and I rubbed my chest in relief as Minase calmly continued.

"I'm going to study basic math today, please tell me if you need me for anything."

"That's what you're apologizing for!?"

While everyone was dumbfounded, Minase went back to her studies as if she had done her duty. Seeing Minase's attitude, I hesitantly turned my head to check on Chizuru-san...

"...Heh, hehe..."

Ahh, she's smiling like multiple lines have been crossed, an incomprehensible eerie grin. I have to do something about this!

"H-hey, it's ok, this is just how she is. Right? Prez?"

"Uh, ah, y-yeah. I-I feel like that's probably how it is, yeah."

We exchanged uneasy smiles, and I continued with the damage control.

"D-don't worry, the other members are more sociable... yeah, they're more outgoing!"

Hearing the desperation in my voice, Chizuru-san replied while finally relaxing her shoulders.

"You might be right. Besides the honor student seat, everyone else is elected by a popularity vote so they should be proper in both appearance and personality. Other than the honor student, of course."

"Y-yes..."

Although I'm a little bothered by that attack on both Minase and myself last year, just being able to converse with Chizuru-san right now is a big step forward.

I continued on, trying to cement my progress.

"Don't you worry about that! The other members are all very diligent in regards to participating in student council duties—"

Just as I was in the middle of my sentence, the door creaked open, and then—

"Sup. I'm the Secretary Hinomori Touko. I was late because I was searching up erotic shota pics on Pixiv."

The suspicious mask and wig wearing girl blurted out the worst excuse for being late and barged into the room.

"How oblivious to the mood can you be, you asshole!?"

I grabbed the masked girl with the worst timing by her collar. She uttered out a "Haah?" and responded in kind.

"What? What's wrong with you, picking a fight for no reason? Watch it or I'll cut you down with my Koumaken."

"Shut up, don't walk in here with your stupid excuse for being late and act like you don't care! Got it?"

"Huh? You should be thankful I came at all. Sugisaki, aren't you getting a little full of yourself lately? "Don't act like you're my boyfriend so you can tell me what to do, that's totally disgusting."

"Huh? Who's acting like your boyfriend!? More like I'm your guardian who has to clean up your idiocy, stupid!"

"I'm not stupid! I know my times tables inside out!"

"If that's your criteria then you're already an idiot! More importantly, didn't I tell you we had guests today!? Yet you're still so nonchalant about coming in late..."

"Guests? Yeah whatever, it's just Kazami coming to visit again, right..."

As she spoke, Hinomori pushed me aside and took a step into the room.

And then... Prez and Chizuru-san greeted her with a somewhat awkward bow.

At that moment.

"Ah................... hello............... I'm Hinomori."

Her intensity from earlier gone, Hinomori became as shy as a cat meeting strangers for the first time.

I teased her with a mischievous grin on my face.

"Come on, don't be shy now."

Suddenly Hinomori was glaring at me while blushing from head to toe.

"I-I-I'm not shy! Discretion is the greater part of valor!"

"It's astonishing how nonchalantly you misuse proverbs. Come on, don't be nervous now and greet your seniors."

"S... shut up! Who cares what you think, stupid!"

"Ah, hey."

Hinomori threw me off, then shuffled her way towards Chizuru-san, for some reason stopping in front of and glaring down at her... ah, come to think of it, Hinomori did once say she hated everyone on the old student council...

It was already far too late for me to be remembering this fact.

Hinomori faced Chizuru-san and practically spat out her words.

"...That's my seat you're sitting on."

"Hm?"

Chizuru-san twitched visibly. Not good, my entire body is tensing up.

That's right, out of habit Chizuru-san and the Prez ignored the seats by the wall we prepared for them and sat down in the secretary's seat and the presidential seat respectively. Because of the situation earlier, I didn't have the courage or timing to point it out... and so this seating arrangement persisted until now. Who would've thought it would be called out like this in the worst way possible...

The Prez hurriedly stood up from her seat with an "Ah, I am too!", but Chizuru-san just stared at Hinomori with an ominous grin.

"Oh my, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that you were now using 'my seat'."

"Wha..."

Facing Chizuru-san's retort, Hinomori became obviously irritated. Without waiting for me and the Prez to mediate, she kept piling on the retorts.

"Ahh, no wonder this chair is the most worn out one in the room."

"...What are you implying?"

"Oh nothing, just that this chair had to have been used by the heaviest person in the student council last year to get this worn out."

"......"

Ahh, the mechanical pencil in Chizuru-san's hand just made a 'crack' sound!

While those two were having sparks fly between them, the Prez quietly crawled up to me and looked up towards me with tear-filled eyes.

"Sob, Sugisaki..."

"Prez...... Sorry, I want to comfort you, but right now I'm about to cry too."

That's strange. When we were planning the meeting of the old and new student councils, I imagined the mood as peaceful and joyful. But now that I see this... the way this is going seems to be a much more logical outcome to me now, and it makes me so depressed!

The Prez is probably thinking the same thing, she opened her mouth dejectedly.

"I'm sorry, Sugisaki..."

"Huh? Why are you apologizing, Prez?"

I was surprised from the bottom of my heart and couldn't comprehend why she would feel the need to apologize as Prez spoke to me without any hint of energy in her voice.

"Because I came up with this plan in the first place..."

"But both Saionji, the current president, and I worked really hard on this too, Minatsu and Mafuyu-chan really wanted to see the student council after such a long time as well! You have nothing to apologize for, Prez...."

"But... Chizuru was opposed to it from the start."

"What?"

This is the first time I've heard anything about this. I glanced towards Chizuru-san by reflex, she hasn't budged from her seat, still locked in a battle with Hinomori. Prez also looked towards her with a complicated face.

"Chizuru said that the new student council members may not have the best impressions of us, and that she didn't want to make more trouble for Key-kun."

"Hm..."

"B-but since you were so enthusiastic about this plan, I thought it would be fine. I thought for sure we could get along with the new student council and have fun talking with each other..."

The Prez let out a sigh as she watched Chizuru-san and Hinomori rip each other to shreds.

"Ugh, seriously. Chizuru usually acts more mature than this... but sure enough as soon as we come here, huh. I guess it can't be helped."

"......"

"I'm sorry Sugisaki. If it's too much trouble, then we can wait until the meeting's over and just look around the room a bit—"

"That goes for you too, Prez."

"Huh?"

I interrupted Prez so I could tell her.

"Prez, you don't have to pretend to be mature, either. That's the kind of place this is, after all."

"Sugisaki..."

After hearing my words, Prez's tears immediately overflowed from her eyes. And then, after lowering her head for a while... this time, she came to me and, like a child, made her selfish request while throwing a tantrum.

"Sugisaki! I want a happier and livelier student council!"

"You got it, Prez!"

Hearing our loud voices, not only the two arguing girls, but also Minase who was absorbed in her studies, turned to look at us with amazement.

Being at the centre of attention, I raised my voice again with a laugh.

"Then I'm off to gather all the remaining members, by force if necessary! Wait for me, and be a little friendlier towards each other if possible, ok!?"

"Ah..."

Chizuru-san looked towards me and the Prez, and as if noticing something, quickly gave up her seat to Hinomori, who awkwardly sat down. Feeling like everything would be alright, I walked out of the student council room.

Now then, who should I start with first? As I started walking down the hallway, the sound of the door being opened and closed again came from behind me.

When I turned around, I could see Chizuru-san chasing after me. I was about to panic thinking that she might hate Hinomori to the point of not wanting to stay in the same room with her, but luckily it seemed like that wasn't the case.

Chizuru-san ran after me while calling out "Key-kun!", and apologized while wearing an expression without any pretense or facade, an unusual sight for her.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking..."

"Haha, like I was saying, why are you two apologizing to me? There's no need to apologize."

"But..."

Chizuru-san's cheeks turned slightly red, and she slowly averted her gaze.

"I understand that I wasn't very mature today... um..."

"Ah, that is true. Usually you're more tolerant and forgiving. No matter how much you miss the student council room, it shouldn't be this bad. Is something wrong?"

"B-because... both with Minase-san and Hinomori-san... um..."

Suddenly Chizuru-san started fidgeting with her hands behind her back.

Seeing that, I thought "Ahh, I see, she's jealous, huh?"

Chizuru-san scrunched up her lips slightly... and with a great amount of embarrassment, said something completely unexpected.

"They were being too mean to Key-kun..."

"Huh...?"

Those words easily surpassed my shallow preconceptions. They were filled with love.

Seeing Chizuru-san this embarrassed with her face bright red, I also began to feel tingly, and at the same time... my body was filled with strength.

I faced her with my brightest smile and announced:

"Chizuru-san, I'm heading off! Wait for me! I'll definitely—"

I tapped my chest with a thump.

"I'll definitely show Chizuru-san a student council where she can feel at ease!"

"...Yeah!"

And so, I turned my back on the brightest smile Chizuru-san has given me all day, and ran out into the school to search for the remaining members.

Next Part

1 comment:

  1. I came here because the "shin" manga has end, and I love this.

    ReplyDelete